The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) has said it is “deeply distressed” by reports that bombings have caused casualties at a UN compound in Gaza City.
The UNDP said the compound was managed by its Program of Assistance to the Palestinian People until October 13, when UN officials left the premises.
“The bombing is believed to have caused significant numbers of deaths and injuries,” the United Nations said.
“On November 6, UNDP reported that hundreds of people seeking shelter had entered the compound and there are indications that this number has increased significantly since then,” he added.
“The ongoing tragedy of civilian deaths and injuries in this conflict is unacceptable and must end. Civilians, civilian infrastructure and the inviolability of United Nations facilities must be respected and protected at all times. International humanitarian law, including the principles of distinction, proportionality and precaution, must be respected and defended,” concluded the UNDP.
See also – Brazilians manage to leave the Gaza Strip towards Brazil