Projects requiring less than 5 megawatts (MW), such as small factories, factories or certain large stores, will not automatically be accepted by Hydro-Québec, the state-owned utility’s new CEO Michael Sabia said Tuesday. Hydro contradicts its CEO and says it is still obliged to connect these projects.
• Read also: Consumption higher than expected: Hydro-Québec will run out of electricity two years earlier than expected
• Read also: Hydro-Québec: The duration of outages has more than doubled in one year
• Read also: Lack of engineers: “We can’t provide the service to Hydro”
• Read also: Almost 500 Hydro customers have been waiting to be connected for over 2 years
In response to a question from Chamber of Commerce CEO Michel Leblanc, who asked if Hydro-Québec would commit to supplying electricity to any project requiring less than 5 MW, regardless of the project, Mr. Sabia replied “not necessarily”. .”
“In my view, two criteria are necessary,” he said. First, the economic benefits. This means developing a supply chain here in Quebec and sustainable jobs, which will be the result of this investment,” he told a business audience, during an event organized by the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal this tuesday
“So, is there a reasonable probability (of) creating an industry with a global competitive advantage and that it is sustainable? Mr. Sabia continued. These two criteria should guide us in making decisions.”
Remember that in February, Quebec adopted Bill 2. This ensures that the government, in collaboration with Hydro-Québec, selects high-power projects, meaning projects of 5 MW and above. Previously, the state company was obliged to attend to projects that required less than 50 MW.
Therefore, Michael Sabia’s comments suggest that Hydro-Québec would no longer be required to service projects still under its responsibility, meaning those under 5 MW. But this is not the case, says Hydro-Québec.
“Mr. Sabia was simply referring to his high-level personal perspectives on the projects that could have the most lasting benefits for Quebec,” says Maxence Huard-Lefebvre of Hydro-Québec. The latter asserts that below 5 MW, the obligation to connect is “clear” for Hydro-Québec. “There is no intention to change the current guidance on this issue,” he specifies.