Two repatriated children who presented with cases of tonsillitis and the virus were sent to receive medical care upon their arrival at the Brasilia Air Base last Monday (13).
According to Thais Nascimento, a doctor with the Brazilian Air Force (FAB), “the children are stable. But they neither ate nor drank water. One of them had tonsillitis two weeks ago and was treated over time. Her little sister ended up contracting a virus in recent days. He vomited, he felt bad. But despite this, they managed to do the flight well.
“Now I have asked that she be followed by specialized professionals because I think they really deserve a little more attention so that they can now leave without problems,” he continued.
Arrival of returnees in Brasilia
Those rescued will be able to apply to be included in Bolsa Família and other social assistance benefit programs, according to the Ministry of Social Development.
The group of Brazilians will spend two nights in accommodation in the Base Area, where they will be cared for by social workers, in addition to receiving medical and psychological care.
Everyone will be subject to immigration regularization and will be registered in the Single Register, which will allow them to benefit from federal government social programs.
President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva (PT) went there to welcome the citizens, who waited more than three weeks before obtaining permission to leave the enclave affected by the war between Israel and Hamas.
Of the 34 people who asked the Brazilian government to be repatriated – 24 Brazilians and 10 close Palestinian family members – 32 crossed the Rafah border crossing for the first time since the conflict began.
According to Itamaraty, two people from the group who were on the initial list opted out of repatriation and decided to stay in Gaza. According to CNNtwo Brazilian women, mother and daughter, decided to stay in Palestinian territory for personal reasons.
Understand in 6 points what the trip to Brazil was like
- The 32 Brazilians crossed, on Sunday (12), the Rafah crossing, border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt;
- The group was loaded into vehicles chartered by the Brazilian embassy in Egypt and headed to Cairo;
- They spent the night in the Egyptian capital, where they received support from the federal government;
- On the morning of this Monday (13), they boarded the VC-2 plane, belonging to the Presidency of the Republic;
- The flight made technical stops in Las Palmas (Spain) and Recife;
- The landing at Brasilia Air Base took place today at 11:30 p.m.